- To signup and pay via credit card: click here.
- To signup and pay by check:
– EMAIL email@example.com with your selection
– NOTE on your check what workshop and MAIL your check (payable to Northern Star Quilters’ Guild) to:
Deborah Tashjian, 6 McDougal Lane, Cortlandt Manor, NY 10567
– All sign-ups are subject to availability; no refunds
unless the event is cancelled.
– Please be sure your NSQG membership is up-to-date (click here to renew or join
) before registering as a member.
– Non-members are welcome (based on availability) for an increased fee, usually $20.
Class confirmation will be emailed when payment is received.
Supply lists, if not already on the website, will be emailed shortly before the workshop
Zoom link, if applicable, will be emailed to participants a few days before the workshop.
Dancing with the Wall: Improv Irene-Style Quick-Step
Monday and Tuesday, 6 and 7 May 2024
9:00 am to 6:00 pm with an hour for lunch
Live, in-person at the Millwood Firehouse on 100 Millwood Road in Millwood, NY 10546
Come spend two days with Irene and learn how to let your sub-conscience and creativity drive you to make a unique expression of your individual aesthetic and process. Using only two contrasting colors, you will learn how to construct the individual components used to make an improv Irene-style quilt. You will discover how fun it is to make many types of stripes, triangles, squares and curves in new and original ways. Expect to leave with a piece in progress as well as all the techniques to pursue this approach to improv quilting.
About two weeks before the workshop Irene will send copies of her handouts and links to two of her videos–one on components and one on skinny lines.
Please sign up promptly. If there is enough interest and registration and this workshop closes out early, a second class can be arranged with Irene.
To learn more about Irene Roderick, visit her website: Irene Roderick
You can purchase her book at your local quilt or book store, or order on Amazon or Barnes & Noble.
- Sewing machine and all stuff that goes with sewing: scissors, rotary cutter, cutting mat, marking pens/chalk, pins for pinning pieces together and for putting onto design wall, thread, etc.
- A quilting ruler at least 4”x14”. Helpful for squaring up components made improvisationally
- Design Wall at least 4 x 6’ – or if design walls are provided, a piece of flannel or batting at least 6×7’
- Spray starch and spray water bottle
- Fabric – 2 yards each of 2 colors that play nicely together and you love! The two colors need to be high contrast and solids (ombres work quite well for this workshop!).